Napoleonic scale. and range , of choice...and why?

For discussion of all things Napoleonic.
Cardinal Biggles

Napoleonic scale. and range , of choice...and why?

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:21 pm

What are your thoughts on this matter ?

uriah heep

Post by uriah heep » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:00 am

my answer is pritty simple really i just enjoy paintng 28mm

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:39 am

I don't actually have any Napoleonic other than some 28mm command, Napoleon and others and I an seriously not sure which scale or period I would do...in the past I have done a sizable 1809 foundry force, need to get some pics of it...and bought and sold 15s and 25/8mm ,any number of , without painting them up...painted a few. a lot of 28mm for others, mostly elite, which don't actually do it much for me. I once had a superb camapign dressed minfig French army, and I wish I had pics of it..

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

Post by Admin Fella » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:31 pm

I would like Napoleonics in 20mm. SHQ has a fantastic range in this scale which i hope to collect.

uriah heep

Post by uriah heep » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:35 pm

to be honest when you see marks 10mm they really do look impresive 7,000 figs on the table its more like a panoramic view of a battle

i used to have 15mm but for some reason it just dident do it for me so i went up to 28s

you just get 2 totally diffrant feels to a game 28s big and imposing nice to look at etc etc 10mm lots of them and looks the biz

10mm seems to be hitting of big over here and 15mm is slowly being pushed to one side

uriah heep

Post by uriah heep » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:35 pm

new line have some brillient 20mm figs

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:48 pm

I have to say 10mm does it for me...

Mark Phillips

Post by Mark Phillips » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:37 pm

Whoa, them words is the way to me heart! as Uri says, we did 15mm...but it seemed neither one nor t'other, so we upped to 28's, and downed to 10's, gives a totally different look to the game. Tried 6's, no offence to them, but they felt just a tad small. Tried 2mm yeeeears ago. yeah.'nuff said. :lol:

Mark Phillips

Post by Mark Phillips » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:39 pm

Oh as to why 10mm, because you can put 80/90 into each btn, in 2 or 3 ranks, and lots of em look damned impressive. More figs to paint, but less individual detail needed. Good en masse.

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:05 pm

i have don a shed load of 10mm fantasy so I am sold on the scale!

Phantom Agent

Post by Phantom Agent » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:59 pm

the small scales give you that feel of the entire battle...here's something though....played Austerlitz using V&B, Richard Tart organised it and made all the bases using Balsa for the troops, they were "blocks", it looked the business..the battle field was scaled down by about a third along with the distances but he made so it was able to be folded, very convenient....reckon it was about 5mm..

uriah heep

Post by uriah heep » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:08 pm

nice one we are doing a show this weekend will pop a couple of pics here and a link to our forum so you can look at the whole show were doing a sort of fairwell to stockton with it beng the last ever show so loads of pics will be up

Mark Phillips

Post by Mark Phillips » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:30 pm

Aye, to be fair I have seen a fair few HUGH 5/6mm games, and they do look good overall, for a sense of scale and depth. I reckon 10mm is similar (based with the same mass effect in mind), just a bit easier on the eye, IMO only. Lets face it...it all looks good really, whatever the scale! :)

Phantom Agent

Post by Phantom Agent » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:56 pm

..HUGH???

Mark Phillips

Post by Mark Phillips » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:59 pm

Er yeah, it was put on by a bloke called 'Hugh.' Come on, you must know him, I mean, everyboby knows High. I mean Hugh.

:oops: Ok, I meant 'HUGE'. As in 'BIG'. 'LARGE'. That sort of thing.

Phantom Agent

Post by Phantom Agent » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:05 pm

ah so..you're a 1 finger typing man eh! thought it was some sort of modelling material

Mark Phillips

Post by Mark Phillips » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:41 pm

:lol: Two fingers, one from each hand.....and sometimes a thumb too....

Bluewillow
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 97

Post by Bluewillow » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:09 pm

28mm because ..............................................I love it!
"if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything"

http://stormandconquest.blogspot.fr/
http://kampfgruppewillow.blogspot.fr/

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:17 pm

I have to say when we get a group build comp up and running I am going to get some Perry Napoleonics..Cuirassiers in reserve do it for me..
Last edited by Cardinal Biggles on Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uriah heep

Post by uriah heep » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:37 pm

iv got a lot of perri stuff dutch belgics french and brunswicks there lovely figs

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:37 pm

I am going to have the group build of for a bit, $900 for new specs and my teeth are annoying me!!!

frostydog
The Jug
The Jug
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 91

Post by frostydog » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:57 pm

Phantom, I remember playing that Austerlitz game at Annandale. The fact that Richard hand carved the both armies was amazing in itself.

Still like the solid feel of 25/28mm but 10mm has a better massed look. 12 -16 figs at WRG scale doesn't really look like a regt.

Cheers

M
"You defy me! How dare you defy me! Your uppance will come".
Cardinal's award for Purity of Expression and Justifiable Pedantry 2nd class

Bluewillow
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 97

Post by Bluewillow » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:14 pm

Thats why I play ITGM and GDB in 28mm 32-60 fig batns, Napoleonic sickness at its best
"if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything"

http://stormandconquest.blogspot.fr/
http://kampfgruppewillow.blogspot.fr/

frostydog
The Jug
The Jug
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 91

Post by frostydog » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:32 pm

Sunny Goulburn, still no rain? Still like WRG or its Elan offspring, old habits die hard I suppose. Besides the prospect of rebasing gives me dizzy spells.

M
"You defy me! How dare you defy me! Your uppance will come".
Cardinal's award for Purity of Expression and Justifiable Pedantry 2nd class

uriah heep

Post by uriah heep » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:46 pm

my british guard batts are 54 fig batts have some french guard cavalry reg which have 60 figs they look impressive over all i have about 1000 french cav

all my line batts are 32 except my nassu which are 40 and my scotts which are also 40 fig batts