The Rum Corps Tavern
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:24 am 
A Middy
A Middy

Howdy all, New to the forum but not wargaming..will post introduction at a later date

I am wishing to find out thoughts on basing for 25mm to 28mm figures

I am tempted to rebase all my 25mm [and even 20mm plastics] on 20 x 20mm bases or mulitples of such [preference fo 4 on a 40 x 40 base] instead of the old traditional 15 x 20 mm base size..I always thought on 25mm that the smaller base size was too small even back in the 1970's

but now with all figures approaching 28mm I think that the convention of 20 x 20 mm seems more appropriate..and damn some even need bigger.

the old problem is that most of my ancient armies, ACW and Napoleonics are due for new basing...I dont want to rebase to the 15 x 20 but most rules accomodate this size...

I am not a fantasy player and would not really be interested inthe rules that do accomodate this convention of 20 x 20 or their historic equivalents...too many dices.

I had previously bought a lovely Austrian army [by coincidence from a fellow forumite] and it is based 40 x 40[4 to a base]and hence 20 x 20 individually
this i really like as it looks like a small diorama...his figures are 28mm and I am rapt in this base size.[Of coarse his excellent painting also convinces me that this basing certainly brings out the best in the figures.]

but I still am worried that this will limit opponents as most have the other convention..

neverthelesss most of my gaming is done at my house or friends as I am not a comp player so i guess I only have to worry about me.

I also intend my ancients to be as such [20 x 20 or multiple of 40 x 40]
..again most rules are 15 x 20 on unit bases of 60mm frontage..problm here is if i d 40 x 40 i cant accomodate 60mm frontage easily other than sabots.

Do people think that bases will eventually be 20 x 20 as a matter of coarse as manufacturers are just getting bigger an bigger...
'
this is causing much frustration as I have so many unbasedand useless troops I wish to play with...

any thoughts.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:53 pm 
I was under the impression that different games normally outlined what bases to use for their systems?
As such... what do you want to play = what bases to use.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:02 pm 
A Middy
A Middy

yes they do

but if both sides use same size bases , the rules base size really doesnt matter as much

but with increasingly larger figures the old base sizes do not actually fit some of them

I am wanting to perhaps standardize my bases for all 25 / 28mm figures..

and looking to see which way to go...my thoughts are that soon the 20 x 20 size will be considered mandatiory due to this size creep

obviously all my figures will be based identical which is fine for gaming at my place, each side fielding identical bases......but it creatres probs when inviting players ..

I have seen a trend towards the 20 x 20 and want to see if this is being taken on by others...thus meaning i have less compatibility issues.

my gut feeling is to go 20 x 20.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:12 pm 
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

It is an interesting question for me as well.
When I stepped back from the hobby it was 25mm.

Now it is 28mm but, of course, there is a huge existing base of 25mm that people such as Pz Ferdinand are understandably reluctant to rebase too much.

And there's me who's confused. Herr K's approach seems not bad (i.e. accept a 60mm square base for Might and Reason which covers the old 4x15 frontage). But wht do you do with such a bespoke frontage outside the circle of your pals buddies and mates when M&R talk about a 50mm square? (And you know that most players are at heart slothful and will take that as the industry standard).

I've been toying with the possibility of a sleeving base. Paint and base on 50mm but use a 60mm base that can accept the smaller size. The extra 10mm offers interesting possibilities such as unit information/battle honours blah blah on the edge. Trouble is that it may look a little odd and take some getting used to (I experimented with such a concept on the weekend).

So, no answer. But I am interested in the question.

- Euripides

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:18 pm 
A Middy
A Middy

yes i agree the sleeving idea is commendable..and much along my thoughts of a sabot base

but like you will it look funny?

my other thought is single individual bases in a tray with magnets...but thats ok..but not as visually fulfilling as multi bases

i think this thread could lead to some interesting thoughts and ideas which might cause more confusion or offer glimmers of light..

I am thinking I will probably take the bull by the horn and base all my old figures on 20 x 20 ...most likely inthe 4 figure 40 x 40 base

all my 25mm medievals are on GW individual bases...ok but the bigger the 2 armies get the more problematic individual bases become...

40 x 40 offers nice little dioramas but easy movement.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:43 pm 
actually in Horse and Musket there is no industry standard any more..a sort of industry standard has hung on in ancients but I think Fog might have changed it...as I explained carefully and slowly for starkadder the might and reason rule set was adopted after basing for another idea had been agreed up,actually two years after much of our collections had ben rebased.. and as basing these days involves much PVA and sand rebasing becomes a very moot point..it actually can't be done, the little buggers are there forever.. end of the line..etc, so lets not hear any more refernce to our might and reason basing , it is a bit boring..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:54 pm 
A Middy
A Middy

hope this hasnt bought up a hornets nest

I am afraid I dont know the rules "might and reason" so am myself not referring to such.

and am more used to rules from the past..yes I am afraid I live in the past a bit.

presently trying to come to a good solution for my ancients and napoleonics

ironically I believe the old 15 x 20 was really not designed for 25mm but I believe for the common airfix figure..20mm or 1/76th but they were probably closer to 1/87th...lets call them HO/OO and thats a good generic no size description.

even in the 70's I used to think the bases looked on the small side for airfix figures...[but acceptable.], and with 25mm i thought a bit squeezy

but 28mm positively like someone balancing on a "Twister" game board.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:28 pm 
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Herr K did explain it quite clearly to me but I kept dribbling absent-mindedly on my notes.

Pace dear Kardinal, merely musing, merely musing.

I happen to like 60s. Lots of room to play in.

- Euripides

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:37 pm 
A Schooner
A Schooner

Cardinal Biggles wrote:
..a sort of industry standard has hung on in ancients but I think Fog might have changed it..

Nah - FoG has quite foolishly stuck to the old DBX standard for 25/28mm - 4 heavy infantry/3 cavalry per 60mm frontage. As has been pointed out, makes the bases somewhat crowded. WAB has always been 20mm, as has Warrior...I think?

I'm less worried about basing as to who and what who I actually play. A sporting opponent would not quibble over such matters.

Now, when I buy my new 40mm Old Glory Vikings, what size bases should they be on? :D

Cheers

CW

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:50 am 
If you do not mind extra work, and slightly less traditional bases... how about using a small magnetic base (flocked etc with a uniform technique) for each miniature, then have various "base bases" which you can simply put the magnetic base on. These bases could be plain (with unit information on them as needed etc). I have seen this down rather well for games were it is common to put minis on unit trays. If you don't want to do up the "base bases" with flock etc, you can use printed labels ontop of magnetic sheet, so you can just print the base with grass, unit info etc as need.

(I am thinking of doing this for my FOG army to allow me to move and ID units in Battle groups.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:25 pm 
starkadder wrote:
Herr K did explain it quite clearly to me but I kept dribbling absent-mindedly on my notes.

Pace dear Kardinal, merely musing, merely musing.

I happen to like 60s. Lots of room to play in.

change the record..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:58 pm 
A Middy
A Middy

President CGS wrote:
If you do not mind extra work, and slightly less traditional bases... how about using a small magnetic base (flocked etc with a uniform technique) for each miniature, then have various "base bases" which you can simply put the magnetic base on. These bases could be plain (with unit information on them as needed etc). I have seen this down rather well for games were it is common to put minis on unit trays. If you don't want to do up the "base bases" with flock etc, you can use printed labels ontop of magnetic sheet, so you can just print the base with grass, unit info etc as need.

(I am thinking of doing this for my FOG army to allow me to move and ID units in Battle groups.)

yes thanks presi

definately considering magnetic
a trader fellow who frequents Moab and Leviathan supplies suitable bases as such..
id be happy to give him my money [if bulk deal can be had] if my sizes are decided.

just a matter of deciding on 20 x 20 per figure for me...and forgeting whats gone before.ie 15 x 20

really I am trying to get a n idea if people think the trend will be towards larger bases purely because we need to accomodate larger figures...as really most of my armies are old now they need rebasing especially as i have added many new elements second hand and there is a multitude of bases. and sizes..

just looking for consistency

and as much as I hate to admit it GW basing is a consistency I feel compelled to follow...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:41 pm 
Evade....

FWIW, my thoughts on the subject ..... base individually ... I use 1" diameter round washers from Bunnings, you can buy a box load, then raid a paercraft/scrapbooking shop and buy a 1" diameter round hole-punch, which you use on sticky backed magnetic paper, which fits perfectly on the base of the washer, and is ever so slightly to large for the base from the Evil Empire, 1" being 25.4mm, and their bases being 25mm .... nothing that a little trimming cannot cure anyway ...... then if u are trying to form units, do as El-presidente_cgs suggested, make diorama bases for them :)

Rgds

Chris

P.S. Russ, welcome aboard, good to see ya, still alive and kicking :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:53 pm 
A Middy
A Middy

thanks chris
looking forward to catching up at moab

yes trying to avoid the evil empire

yes that punch sounds good..

do you use this size for everything...ie ancients, napoleonics, ww2 etc etc

perhaps the punch could be used to punch out the holes for a diarama base too.[to fit the figures into the holes on the base.

i do have a number of troops for lost world on GW 25mm round bases..and that punch would be great to make the diarama bases i wanted for them...

one base with say8 or 10 holes to drop figures in

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:51 am 
A Schooner
A Schooner

Don't forget Litko

http://www.litkoaero.com/

Cheap, consistent and any shape and size you might want. Unfortuantely the recent weaking on the $A vs the Greenback has seen their products drop in relative cheapness, but recent events might reverse that trend.

Cheers

CW

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:55 am 
A Middy
A Middy

yes thanks cw

I have a local friend I game with who buys various stuff off them...and it is in my considerations..but I wouldnt mind supporting local guys who sell at moab and leviathon..although I usually make all my stuff..if bulk for premade bases is a fair price I will go with premade...

but you are right about consistant...unless the bases are consistant in shape and size then I'd rather do it myself...I have heard some overseas suppliers are not always consistant with their cutting...glad to hear litko is.And I am yet to find out if local suppliers are consistant in shapes/sizes.

I try to support local people as much as I can...especially as I know how hard it is to survive in Australia in a hobby business..

http://ozwargaming.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1612