28mm Hanoverian SYW

A place where one can discuss Wartime Miniatures Group Build projects.
Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

Re: 28mm Hanoverian SYW

Postby Admin Fella » Sun May 01, 2011 11:00 pm

Every regiment picture has the same layout. I would suggest to show the colour of the inside of the coat rather than display as a front only turnback.

I would expect if it was meant as such it would show itself more clearly. The notes also say no turnback.

I would even be bold and say the previous picture reference maybe suggests the same? If you see the soldier in the background he is displaying full skirts.

Just posing the question.

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Mon May 02, 2011 7:43 am

Admin Fella wrote:Every regiment picture has the same layout. I would suggest to show the colour of the inside of the coat rather than display as a front only turnback.

I would expect if it was meant as such it would show itself more clearly. The notes also say no turnback.

I would even be bold and say the previous picture reference maybe suggests the same? If you see the soldier in the background he is displaying full skirts.

Just posing the question.

your range is doomed so it would appear..end of my interest..that is one of the most ludicrous observations I have ever come across..

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Mon May 02, 2011 7:57 am

he also has blue stockings.. and what does that mean.. and why do they bother to have the heart shaped estraing points..I seriously think your interpretayion is as fantastic as it is wrong..

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Mon May 02, 2011 8:01 am

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Mon May 02, 2011 8:06 am

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Mon May 02, 2011 8:26 am

and my rather knowledgeable Canadian friend andygamer sums it up here
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=196577

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Mon May 02, 2011 8:34 am

and as I am merely flirting with this I haven't even attempted to disentangle all the info in Pengel & Hurt

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin Fella » Mon May 02, 2011 8:36 am

Cardinal Biggles wrote:he also has blue stockings.. and what does that mean.. and why do they bother to have the heart shaped estraing points..I seriously think your interpretayion is as fantastic as it is wrong..

your range is doomed so it would appear..end of my interest..that is one of the most ludicrous observations I have ever come across..

I quite like this type of discussion. It helps to raise any points of interest and debate the reference material which would (hopefully) at the end allow an informed decision to be made. While i consider your conclusions premature and wrong, it raises the valid point that there is some debate on the subject. Which in the process of meeting the requirements you have laid out justifies having the debate. As a new person to the period, i am yet to draw staunch view points on some issues and try to remain as open as possible on the various subjects.

You should really take comfort in the fact you have raised a number of issues on the subject which appear valid, just because i question your points, should not automatically assume i am coming to the wrong conclusion. These debates help to minimise mistakes that have been made by other manufacturers, which you yourself point out.

Thanks for taking the time to contribute, Does anyone else also have an opinion?

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin Fella » Mon May 02, 2011 8:39 am

I am looking at the links. I am still trying to understand though that on the side illustrations, the front skirt merely have the corner rolled back a bit, by no means turned back and hooked in place as would be expected. Were front only turnbacks worn differently?

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin Fella » Mon May 02, 2011 10:36 am

Which regiments wore front only turnback around the time of Minden??

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Wed May 04, 2011 1:14 pm

I havent had time to go any further especially to Pengel and Hurt probably those with front turnbacks shown are the front turnback,,interestingly Minden miniatures have got it wrongin their figures.. ..

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin Fella » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:07 am

Legion Musketeer Green is done and with me. Rest of Legion figures being worked on.

2 heavy and 2 medium horse greens almost complete. I think people will like these as we have aimed to get the European breed captured for the period.

Mounted colonel is almost complete.

I am not sure if i have mentioned this, but some may be aware that we have had to change sculptors. While there were a number of other issues which have caused allot of delays, sculptor issues was also a major problem. We now have 2 sculptors, Phil Murphy who will be doing the foot figures and Bob Naismith who offered to help and is looking to do the horse.

What does this mean? well for the foot, i have a dolly, so the basic style and proportions will remain the same keeping the ranges consistent. For the horse this is harder as they are being done for scratch. So a different style, but still matching size wise etc. This may not sit well for some, but i believe for the best in the long run as i now have much more security with regard to sculptor reliability and consistency with future figures.

I had yet another delay with the line musketeers in that several bayonets snapped off the production masters when sent to the mould maker. combined with a number of work trips for me i have only been able to fix the issue (including strengthening the bayonets) in the last few days. But they are now with Nic @ Eureka for moulding and should be ready in the not too distant future.

regards
Mathew

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin Fella » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:09 am

Here are couple more WIP pictures:

Legion

Colonel and horses

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:21 am

I have to say that colonel is a very fine looking fellow..

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:22 am

the legion guy marching will have a fixed bayonet ,I hope?

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin Fella » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:40 am

The left figure is a early musketeer purely for comparison purposes. A marching pose may be done later pending how the first releases go.

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:57 am

pity that , I don't buy "advancing.."

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin Fella » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:14 am

Just received the production mould for the Musketeers and about to go up to the shed and see if i can spin it out.

Colonel and horse greens also finished and on their way.

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin Fella » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:48 am

Ok all, well the mould works nicely.

The first 16 figures (Line Infantry and Grenadiers) are now available! :)

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin Fella » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:38 pm

Here is a pic of the first of the upcoming Jaeger:

regards

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin Fella » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:57 pm

Mounted Colonel (i took the photo from a slightly raised angle which may give a slightly "stump" look):

Now available from:

http://www.wartimeminiatures.com.au

regards
Mathew

P.S: The Musket on the Jaeger is being adjusted to a Rifle.

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:54 pm

I thought Freytag's jaegers were musket armed?

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:24 pm

Cardinal Biggles wrote:I thought Freytag's jaegers were musket armed?

I stand corrected the Grenadiers were musket and bayonet armed the jaeger had rifles

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin Fella » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:05 am

Yep

The Prachtwerk does clearly indicate the rifle which is where Pengel and Hurt gets their reference along with the adjacent musket.

Sparker

Postby Sparker » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:17 am

I have been following this discussion with interest, and am learning a lot, but not enough to contribute intelligently. I would however observe that in discussing specific details of what was and wasn't worn in the field, the regulations, tailors notes etc should not be taken as gospel. Quite apart from the challenges of maintaining correct standards of dress in the field on campaing, soldiers will go to extraordinary lengths to alter the cut and appearance of their uniform, both to display some individuality and also to express subtle differences between companies and battalions of the same regiment. I would expect that the amount of turnback and lapel display would have been one of the prime means of achieving this during this era.

Whilst senior NCO's would have been constantly clamping down on displays of individuality, the company and battalion 'unofficial' differences might well have been tolerated, even encouraged...

Think of it as the way 6th formers change the size and length of their school ties to show how 'cool' and senior they are...and the difference between the mannequin displaying the official school uniform in the Commissary and what you actually see the kids wearing!

Return to “The WartimeMiniatures Group Build Room”