28mm Hanoverian SYW

A place where one can discuss Wartime Miniatures Group Build projects.
Cardinal Biggles

Re: 28mm Hanoverian SYW

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:47 pm

well that is about an 1/8 of them .turnbacks fore, for and aft ,etc..etc.. then lapels and front turnbacks ..etc then all the old regiment s with no lapels except. for etc...and short front turnbacks and then it gets complicated..Irish and Swiss and Germans Guards and then all the greandier versions of all the fuslier versions though you can ignore the Irish and the guardsmen as they didn't take part in the SYW.. and cavalry in tricorne ,bearskin ,with cuirass over the coat and under the coat and not at all..and dragoons..well they are straightforward

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

Post by Admin Fella » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:51 pm

Yep only a few of them. But can then add lapels to this base and build from there. It was decided this first design so it could be built on which makes it all a bit easier to do. We will see how it goes and i can certainly admit we cannot cover them all.

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:56 pm

Admin Fella wrote:Yeah, as a rough basis we have decided on turnbacks, bayonet/sword belt under coat, horizontal duck toe pocket, no lapels on this first figure. Grenadier in bearskin Mitre.
is this front and back turnbacks or just front? again bearskins are very rare(probably non existent , in most of the line regiments) , Grenadiers usually have a moustache and that is about all there is to distinguish them , they might have had a different , or longer , hanger..but... as said Grenadiers de France are totally differnt again..
it is best described as a sugar-loaf bearskin cap....

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:33 pm

and then there are the collars.. or not..

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:40 pm

63 regiments of line..with a a quick glance if you count the difference in pockets probaly close to 2/3rds with distinct differences..and that is the 1757 regulation..I would suggest you find a way to hide the pockets..

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin Fella » Sun May 01, 2011 7:23 am

Easy enough for fusilier but rest but I am open to suggestions for the rest.

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sun May 01, 2011 9:14 am

Admin Fella wrote:Easy enough for fusilier but rest but I am open to suggestions for the rest.
I don't quite get what you mean here..

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin Fella » Sun May 01, 2011 5:11 pm

With the Fusilier you can use the arms, haversack, cartridge box etc to cover the pocket areas. You dont have that option with others when minus one or all those bits of kit. Makes it hard then to cover the pocket positions so they dont have to be shown.

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sun May 01, 2011 6:39 pm

you can cover it with the officer if you have them carrying fusil ( as they would be in 1759..and the sergeant as well).. sergeant and drummer, that leave the standard bearer that is a bit hard to cover.. but. not particularly impossible
it is which type you decide to do ..1.front turnback no collar no lapel, 2.front turnback no lapel with collar, 3 and front turnback with collar and lapel..then the same for front and back turnback.4.5.6 . that is six basic infantry types, the the grenadier version of each well a moustache and different hanger and a belly box most usual ..then grenadiers de France which is type 6 but with a sugar loaf grenadier cap..then the Guards, people will want them and this is just the 1757 regulation you have all the 1736 regulation uniforms that are still kicking around
and then to further the mix..shoulder straps!!!!!..8 basic versions
By conrad_hawkwood at 2011-05-01
and 63 regiments was a bit of a conservative estimation ..

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin Fella » Sun May 01, 2011 8:00 pm

Yeah it is going to be front and rear turnback no lapel no collar on first figure and build from there.

Most figures can have pocket area covered, but as you say there is some that are more difficult. I certainly welcome suggestions from anyone who may have an idea on how to. It would save allot of hassle and let me cover allot more.

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sun May 01, 2011 8:11 pm

Admin Fella wrote:Yeah it is going to be front and rear turnback no lapel no collar on first figure and build from there.

Most figures can have pocket area covered, but as you say there is some that are more difficult. I certainly welcome suggestions from anyone who may have an idea on how to. It would save allot of hassle and let me cover allot more.
that misses out the best regiments in the army and you run the risk that faced Crusader of not being able to sell them..(as everybody wanted the better regiments..)(The first 8)

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin Fella » Sun May 01, 2011 8:18 pm

It was worked out like that as a matter of economy, get the first figure done and cast then we can use the master and add further detail. Easy to add detail to master than remove it.

I am planning at least 3 types of Fusilier, even up to 6 if enough interest. I always welcome the feedback on how best to do it and what sequence/uniform layout.

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sun May 01, 2011 9:02 pm

well in that case it wouldnt it be better to get just front turnbacks , no lapels , no collars and no shoulder strap done first and then add to them as you develop the range? so you would cover the first 8 regiments intially ? this is a really big project..

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin Fella » Sun May 01, 2011 9:14 pm

Possibly as we had not discussed front turnbacks only as a start, but i see your logic.

Then of course there is other issues such as belt/sword under or over coat.

I am sure we will hit land mines which ever way we go with all this. :)

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sun May 01, 2011 9:46 pm

what makes you think the French ,Irish, German and Italian regiments didn't wear their swordbelt outside their coat? There seems some conjecture with the Swiss..

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sun May 01, 2011 9:47 pm

no reason to hit a landmine if you plan it well.. :roll:

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin Fella » Sun May 01, 2011 9:56 pm

I was just looking at my previous discussions on the French and it raised a question regarding confirmation details on front turnbacks? 100% positive they were worn that way?

Don't shoot me here, i would just like to be 100% sure as i have some conflicting information.

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sun May 01, 2011 10:12 pm

well it is all laid out above..not officers of course..

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sun May 01, 2011 10:18 pm

just for fun

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin Fella » Sun May 01, 2011 10:19 pm

No not officers.

I see the above, but any other pictorial or documentation to support the above? I have some indications it is difficult to provide the conclusive evidence to support front turnbacks?

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sun May 01, 2011 10:28 pm

there is a conflict if others are talking of the 1736 regulation uniform. Bot h it and the 1757 would be worn, probaly in the same battalion for some time ..there is a bit of twaddle about why would they only have a front turn back?
Regiment Le Roi..number 12 on the fisrt page of uniforms

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sun May 01, 2011 10:30 pm

Admin Fella wrote:No not officers.

I see the above, but any other pictorial or documentation to support the above? I have some indications it is difficult to provide the conclusive evidence to support front turnbacks?
You dispute Lillian and Fred Funcken???? big call by someone and one that brings into mind the concept of minefields..I am glad I am not involved.. you are getting a bit derailed before you even begin..

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sun May 01, 2011 10:32 pm

I am off to bed ..work tomorrow..too much time spent on this but fun anyway..

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin Fella » Sun May 01, 2011 10:43 pm

Cardinal Biggles wrote:
Admin Fella wrote:No not officers.

You dispute Lillian and Fred Funcken???? big call by someone and one that brings into mind the concept of minefields..I am glad I am not involved.. you are getting a bit derailed before you even begin..
Not quite. But a good discussion in any case.

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sun May 01, 2011 10:56 pm

Well before I go to bed ..look at kronoskof here is their plate for regiment Le Roi which make for 3 agreements in my favour
Image :D :D :D