Australian Pacific Militia troops (20mm)

A place where one can discuss Wartime Miniatures Group Build projects.
Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

Re: Australian Pacific Militia troops (20mm)

Post by Admin Fella » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:14 am

I think you would be right. 3 packs of riflemen and an NCO would give you a section?

So 9 packs of riflemen and 1 pack of NCO's would give you a platoon?

If you mix Lewis/Bren teams in there, i think you would only have 2-3 miniatures "spare" at the most?

Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 0

Post by Dropbear » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:20 am

:) well with only that few spare figures I say "Go for it" :D

Real

Post by Real » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:57 am

A section is 11 men strong, with 1 Thompson and 1 Bren gun for 1942 (for the AIF according to Bayonet Strength).

A Bren gun team gives you two figures, add three riflemen packs and you get 11 men. Add an NCO and you are left with just 1 extra riflemen. For your third section, you then have to buy one less riflemen pack, or use the extra riflemen to fill out your platoon HQ.

That is where the real problem lies, as the platoon HQ officially contains 1 lieutenant, 1 sergeant, 1 batmen and 2 crew for a 2" mortar. For the sergeant you would have to buy another pack of three, leaving you with two spares. However, I'm guessing that by 1942 the number of SMG's started to rise (for 1943 Bayonet Strength gives two SMG's per section) and you can deploy those spare two Thompson gunners in your sections instead of riflemen. That then gives you two extra riflemen again, which together with the telephone operator from the HQ pack gives you a full platoon HQ.

Or we could just package the three NCO figures by twos, giving two combinations per pack?

But I'd say that with that few number of figures in the packs, they are pretty flexible.

Btw, this is a highly theoretical question. Because of malaria, no unit whatsoever will have been complete while fighting in the Pacific, be they Japanese, Australian or American. More casualties were suffered to tropical diseases then to the enemy I believe. I'm going to skirmish with these figures as well, but I am going to use units that are way understrength, to simulate the terrible wastage of men.

I am starting to worry about the 2" mortar though. I'm pretty sure that the militia didn't use 3" mortars, Boyes or Vickers in 1942, but the 2" mortar just might have been light enough to be carried on the Kokoda track. It's just that I have never heard about them actually using it and I've heard that units in North Africa stopped using it pretty quickly because of it's ineffectiveness and that it didn't see much use throughout the rest of the war.

What do you guys think? Do we need a 2" mortar team?

Mathew, is this list comprehensive enough (or is it too comprehensive, not leaving the sculptor enough freedom?). Are extra pictures needed?

Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by Dropbear » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:03 am

Real wrote:What do you guys think? Do we need a 2" mortar team?
Heck yeah! But my say doesn't count for this one :P

christo
The Slab
The Slab

Post by christo » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:25 am

I will take 2 RF Btns as a start :D

Real

Post by Real » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:50 am

Very good! :D That is allready 152 figures, right there.

I assume that this means you accept my suggested list? What is your opinion about the 2" mortar?

christo
The Slab
The Slab

Post by christo » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:13 pm

like the list

I am not sure about the mortar so wont speculate

One thing i would like to see are personality figs, they do add a lot of character

Must order another RF btn from battlescape for the Nth Africa stuff :D

starkadder

Post by starkadder » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:47 pm

Can we have a Blamey figure?

I'd like to buy a dozen or so just so that I could hit them with a hammer.

Corrupt, incompetent and a hypocrite.

christo
The Slab
The Slab

Post by christo » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:14 pm

thats the christmas spirit

Real

Post by Real » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:03 pm

Yes, there are a lot of personalities I would like to get done. I mentioned Damien Parer, but we should also have a Bert Kienzle figure, Brigadier Potts and Dr. G.H. Vernon (the deaf doctor who thought it was rats messing up the hut in Kokoda he was operating in, when it was really Jap MG bullets. 'There was no danger really, as they all went high'. :shock: ).

Perhaps we could get a personality pack done later?

If we are going to get that fat little bastard done, I want a McArthur figure as well. :twisted:

Btw, won't you be taking any of the wounded or marching pack? The marching ones could also be used to fill out a couple of RF! rifle companies as they are bound not to be fighting all at once.

starkadder

Post by starkadder » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:59 am

and if You get the corn cobber, you'll need Eichelberger and half a dozen wasp-waisted aides

Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by Dropbear » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:32 am

Please make additional figure requests/ideas with a new post, that way we can keep the topic on track. :)

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin Fella » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:00 pm

Ok guys the packs have been put up on BattleScape for you to start confirming your indicated interest in this build.

I will update each pack with ordered amounts so you can gauge its progress.

Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by Dropbear » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:08 pm

It will be interesting to see how many people commit to this. In all honesty, the whole group build idea depends on people turning ideas into a commitment.

As soon as the Aussie gunners are up, I will be putting up my $ as promised :D

Real

Post by Real » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:20 pm

Well, I have ordered immediately. There was nowhere to give up my CC details though. :roll:

Btw, I noticed that it said that each individual pack requires 25 orders in order to move to sculpting stage. I hope this is not accurate as that way there is a risk that several packs won't make it, leaving us with an incomplete range. The HQ pack for instance, is something that most customers will buy only one time.

Can we also make changes to the packs after they have been put up the website? (for instance, if we should require a 2" mortar after all)

And perhaps there should be a brief description of the theme and look of these figures. Now, you have only copied the detailed individual information, but nothing about the whole idea and general equipment of this range (or am I missing something?).

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin Fella » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:07 pm

I have posted a link to this topic so that people may reference for specific details of the build.

Not sure why CC did not work. Might have something to do with no price listings for the packs.

As to the pack quantities, well i have to set a figure that gives me an indication of whether it is a viable project at this time. Rest assured 25 packs does not cover the sculpting, moulding and casting costs. You are right about HQ packs etc and that is a decision i will make pending the interest in the other packs.

I just have to set some parameters to guide me and others on what is desirable to get things moving.

christo
The Slab
The Slab

Post by christo » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:21 pm

Well just did my bit and signed up for a some packs

ordered an Australian RF Btn for Crete while i was there :D

hope this gets off the ground

Real

Post by Real » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:02 am

Great! :D This is going to be good!

Mathew, I had the same problem when I ordered the Bushmasters . Nowhere I could fill in my CC details.

Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by Dropbear » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:09 am

I would love to see a tally of how many have been ordered as a way to gauge how well they are 'selling' as pre-orders.

Also, the link to the forum page isn't a link... only text.

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin Fella » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:42 am

A tally is listed for each pack. Only 2 orders so far and the totals are not too bad. So hopefully will get there easy enough. :)

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:58 am

I have done my bit... you know with the right packaging I think the War memorial might stock these..I bet they would buy a hundred painted Honners on a nic ebase..especially if he looks like his pic.. Matt you could do him in his desert period as well, you could do him in all his versions throughout the war..
oh and the reason..would the mortar and mmg be useful for Milne Bay? though I dont think the CMF were so "rough" at Milne Bay I don't want to let too many cats in the pigeon loft but a small number of 28s of these mightn't be a bad ideas well..War Memorial again!!!

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:59 am

and , dare I say it..Pulp adventures

Real

Post by Real » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:50 am

I don't think they used any heavy weapons at Milne Bay, even if they had them.

But let's detract a figure from the wounded pack and add a 2" mortar crewed by two militiamen.

The wounded Digger with crutch, supported by mate, would then become a wounded Digger supporting himself with two crutches.

Discounting the second Lewis gunner, this would also get us to 32 figures.

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:53 am

I will dig out my Milne Bay 1942 book..

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin Fella » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:20 am

We should also look at some of these guys being a bit dual purpose and suiting Brit/Commonwealth forces for the Far East.

Should be easy enough to do and it will open up more interest.